Social Icons

Monday, April 06, 2009

Tremors!

I literally felt the earth moved under my feet early this morning around 3.30 a.m.!

The whole room was making some kind of noise and I thought some animal, cat or rat managed to get in somehow and was causing a ruckus. Feeling totally disoriented having to be woken up in this manner, I jumped on my bed and quickly switched on the room lights to checked what was the matter. I then realised the building/room was swaying a little and a low rumble was felt. This went on for about 20 seconds or so and my heart was beating fast. Then it stopped and that was when I decided to get out my room, and so did my next door neighbour and a few more others on my floor. They felt the tremors too!

We were all perplexed as to what was all that about and walking around asking each other about the incident earlier. After a while, we went back to our rooms after seeing how there was nothing more happening, though some did go out of the building a while. I went back trying to sleep but couldn't as I was a little shaken. Before long, it was already time to get up and prepare for morning Mass. That was when the news got in: an earthquake of 6.3 on the Richter scale hit a region near ours, by the east of Rome, in the city of Aquila, killing scores and destroyed thousands of buildings there. News are still coming in about the disaster there.

Meanwhile, for myself, it was quite a new day to wake up to! :-P

update, 7 Apr 2009: latest news on the quake on Yahoo! News and some pictures of the devastated area.

(do pray for the people of Aquila during this difficult and tragic moment...)

3 comments:

Natasha Yong said...

Totally know what it feels like to be in the midst of an earthquake.
Was in the middle of the Sichuan quake last year.
http://www.natashayong.com/2008/05/i-felt-earth-moved.html

Certainly an experience. Heart goes out...

Young Minstrel said...

nya..was so worried when i saw the distance between Aquila and Rome! thank God everyone's ok there. Saw the Aquila aftermath on tv..it's sad lah but our SEAsians had it harder but - to each their own, si si..

received ur email but i dun have the other addy (can email me?) thus again got bounced back (if there's anything like gateway forced entry command i want to know!!!! XD)

anyways, Fr.R said ok - i'll see when is my last day. Bro R's side i'm now an ordinary member but still update their blog (since i'm the one who started it n there's no one suitable to continue)

Young Minstrel said...

YAAAAY i got the EDDY XD *DROOLWOOF!*

(looking at Kah Ki Nangs) where got pple follow their own blogs one?!!! O.o XD!!!!!!

 

On Flickr!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Annoysius. Make your own badge here.

On Blurb

Life is really wort...
By Aloysius Ong

Online Now

Views last 30 days

Hits