Social Icons

Friday, May 08, 2009

Church In Reality - Genius and Mystery

I was somewhat busy with tying up the submission of my thesis and meeting up with the Dean over some lectio questions for the comprehensive exam that will be on the 19th June. Yes! It is the last stretch of activities before I fly off to Singapore towards the end of next month. Aahh.. could almost taste that glorious smell of the teh tarik and roti telur already! :-D

Meanwhile, I saw that the new movie based on Dan Brown's Angels and Demons is making its way around the cinema circuits around the world (did I tell you he and the cast were in Rome last week to promote the show?... never mind, I didn't even noticed). But, perhaps not to my surprise, it did not seem to create any waves of sensationalism or purported mass exodus of people from the Catholic faith as it did in the earlier film. I think the whole idea of the Church being that big, bad evil (galactic) Empire has begun to sound and feel lame and tiring. Kansas Catholic sort of round up my sentiments on this. I never read any of Dan Brown's book nor bothered to watch the movies. They are all laughable. I'd rather spend my money on watching comedies and Disney cartoons like this for instance than Brown's meanderings about old and stale conspiracy theories on the Church. Too bad my favourite Jedi Knight had to associate himself with the current Dan Brown's movie. Maybe he had to constantly use Force Mind Trick on himself to stay on acting there till it was all over...

Speaking of the Church, Amy over a Via Media provides us some good updates (via links) on the journey of peace by our Holy Father as he starts his Holy Land trip. I don't know how much he can bring about the needed peace and stability in that volatile area of Jews, Christians and Muslims living side-by-side, but it is a start. It is a concrete start of the Church's outlook in a world today to unite and bring hope to all. Certainly a far cry and a total opposite from all those tales spun by Dan Brown about the Church. Maybe that is why he needed to create a big and 'evil' caricature of the Church because the reality of who/what the Church is doesn't make him any money nor sell his books. The L'Osservatore Romano, the Vatican’s official newspaper which reviewed the movie says it is “harmless entertainment” that “hardly affects the genius and mystery of Christianity."

3 comments:

Joanne W said...

LOL!!! teh tarik and roti telur?? haha... Btw, i agree with everything you said in the 2nd paragraph! Would much rather spend my money watching Disney cartoons!! hehe...

ylo said...

Well, I'd be so keen to see Ewan McGregor in a cassock. They say it's the same tailor which Pope B16 uses (real or not!?).

In any case, I suspect I'd still prefer to see him wielding a lightsabre. Hmmm...

Unknown said...

@ylo: maybe this kind of lightsaber?....
-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trsLA4Y5HAc

 

On Flickr!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Annoysius. Make your own badge here.

On Blurb

Life is really wort...
By Aloysius Ong

Online Now

Views last 30 days

Hits